The song was written and recorded during a writing session, and upon release, "Ghost" garnered enough buzz to get attention from multiple record labels. Halsey declined the first round of record deals. After the song began receiving independent radio play, Halsey then signed a record deal with Astralwerks.
The first music video for "Ghost" was directed by Alex de Bonrepos and premiered on October 27, 2014. It was filmed at the Pink Motel in Los Angeles, which was also the location of her music video for her song "Hurricane". The video begins with her kissing her boyfriend (played by model AJ English) in the motel room, but soon takes a dangerous turn as the two begin to fight.
A second official music video for "Ghost" was filmed in Tokyo and was directed by Malia James and Ryan Witt in late May 2015. Halsey said she was satisfied with the outcome. It premiered on June 11, 2015, and chronicles Halsey's relationship issues with a female lover. The video begins with a monologue in Japanese.
|Released||June 11, 2015|
|VEVO views||44+ Million views|
|Released||October 27, 2014|
|Location||Pink Motel, Los Angeles|
|VEVO views||3+ Million views|
Second Video Monologue
- This song appears on two different bodies of work: Room 93 and Badlands.
- "Hurricane" is the only other Halsey song that holds this distinction, although it is only featured on the deluxe edition of Badlands.
- "Ghost" was the song that earned Halsey a record deal.
- This is Halsey's only song with more than one music video (it has three).
- A screaming sound can be heard in this song, the same one in New americana (at around 1:02), and in Castle.